Definition of a Beast

Ask a question about agricultural history or the history of rural economy and society
marco247

Definition of a Beast

Post by marco247 »

Hi,
We live on a common where a few commoners and we have grazing rights.
Typically these rights are quite specific on what can be grazed.
An example is:
1 Horse,4 Cows,6 Beast,3 Followers and 6 Geese.
The grazing rights go back and where given out in Medieval Times but the definition today of a "Beast" I believe is not the same as back in the 1200's or so when these rights were issued.
So my question is : Does anyone know what the definition of a "beast" was at that time circa 500ad-1500ad?

Alan Wadsworth

Re: Definition of a Beast

Post by Alan Wadsworth »

Hi,

Which county are you in?

rwhoyle

Post by rwhoyle »

There are rule of thumb equivalents which can be used in stints. In the context here, I would have thought that a beast is a male animal and the followers are calves.

Plowman53

Post by Plowman53 »

Although the term 'Beast' is often applied to farm livestock, it is more usually applied across the board to cattle. However, I would agree that in this instance a "Beast" refers to a male animal and quite likely to refer animals to be sold on /and or kept for fattening purposes. The latter to include working oxen until sent for slaughter. This would differentiate them from the females kept for breeding and dairying purposes.

Alan Wadsworth

Post by Alan Wadsworth »

Well ... I believe that the key lies in “4 cows and 6 beast”. Even today, farmers in Wiltshire and Worcestershire distinguish between cows (which are used to produce milk) and cattle (not used for milk - either male or female). On this basis, beasts are cattle - male and female. As a previous contributor has noted, followers are young stock, normally for the dairy herd.