Denny of Cruikshank, Scotland

Ask a question about agricultural history or the history of rural economy and society
Alan Wadsworth

Denny of Cruikshank, Scotland

Post by Alan Wadsworth »

Does anyone know what this tool was used for please?

Many thanks, Alan Wadsworth
Attachments
denny-2.jpg
denny-1.jpg

webweaver

Re: Denny of Cruikshank, Scotland

Post by webweaver »

Hi Alan
I asked Ted Collins (apparently I've asked him twice!) and he said he doesn't know. Sorry!

Plowman53

Post by Plowman53 »

Hi Alan,

Sorry but I keep forgetting to check. Somewhere I have a Denny catalog that may give a clue.
I think that it may be the sole plate for a crop divider at the end of a mower cutter bar.

Regards
Bob

Cullen

Post by Cullen »

That one's a bit of a mistery isn't it? I have no idea either unfortunately. It looks like it has a very specific use.
I think Quick Extender Pro is amazing and easy to use.

Plowman53

Post by Plowman53 »

Hi Alan,

Still haven't found my Cruikshank of Denny catalog but I've been looking at several of these Denny items over the last couple of days. It's definitely the sole plate from a crop divider that fits to the end of a cutter bar e.g. on a binder. I was looking at two different lengths made by Cruikshank. The complete item has a long tapering wooden rod fitted into it which runs back and upwards from the point for the cut crop to run along it. There's a socket on the sole that fits over the finger at the end of the cutter bar and the wide 'U' end bolt back onto the machine to keep it in place. Sorry I should have taken a photo.
Regards
Bob

Alan Wadsworth

Post by Alan Wadsworth »

Hi Bob,

Thanks for this. Sounds as though it is a simpler version of the more conventional swathe board and swathe stick that you would find at the end of the bar on most cutter-bar mowers. These usually are connected with a sprung bolt to the outer shoe, which is basically a beefed-up version of the end finger.

If you get chance to photograph such a device in situ, then that would be great

Thanks again, Alan

Plowman53

Post by Plowman53 »

Hi Alan,
Your welcome.
I'll see what I can do regarding an image.
Best wishes,
Bob