Nurserymen & Seedsmen of c.1750 to 1850 England viz Newcastle to London connections

Ask a question about agricultural history or the history of rural economy and society
James&Alice

Nurserymen & Seedsmen of c.1750 to 1850 England viz Newcastle to London connections

Post by James&Alice » 02 Aug 2018, 14:54

Re: Nurserymen & Seedsmen of c.1750 to 1850 England in particular Newcastle to London connections

I am researching the above topic.

Please let me explain my current interest is focused on the occupation of these such family owned and run businesses: seeds men and nurserymen - a booming business at the time!

I am also exploring whether there was a business and social (so often linked at the time) connection between Newcastle upon Tyne (together with other northern expanding cities such as Leeds and Manchester) and London - and ultimately to four relevant and established families called Callender , Romaine Callender, Buttery and Hook - in the same 'world'.

The Buttery family, for example, were resident about south London and based around Hampton (Palace gardens and park). Hampton Wick (alongside the former place) and Bushy Park (adjacent to both, and became a Royal Residence too - of the future King William IV).

The Callenders (and Romaine Callenders) were resident in Newcastle UT and well established too. Also set up in Leeds and Manchester and possibly also London too.

In anticipation you may have a tip or two, my thanks!

Best wishes,

Yours sincerely,

James.

Dauber

Re: Nurserymen & Seedsmen of c.1750 to 1850 England viz Newcastle to London connections

Post by Dauber » 04 Aug 2018, 16:01

Are you writing a book on this, James? Most interesting subject, I must say. I wish I could be of help, but that's something I don't know anything about.