Where are Jonas Webb's notebooks now?

Ask a question about agricultural history or the history of rural economy and society
John Broad

Where are Jonas Webb's notebooks now?

Post by John Broad »

In Rural History Today no 16 (January 2009) there was an article about the agricultural notebooks / diaries of Jonas Webb a renowned 19c sheep breeder. Dr Paul M Wood of the Biochemistry Department at the University of Bristol was the author, Webb was an ancester of his, and these notebooks were 'newly discovered'. But where they were held is not revealed, and Dr Wood's email address at the University of Bristol is defunct. Does anyone know anything about their whereabouts, or Dr Woods'. Rebecca Ford has constructed a database of farm diaries, accounts and notebooks between 1600 and 1850 for an article she and I wrote for a pan-European book. It currently has over 450 items and we would like to expand it to make it as complete as possible.

webweaver

Re: Where are Jonas Webb's notebooks now?

Post by webweaver »

I don't know but there is a painting of Jonas Webb in the Scottish National Portrait Gallery. https://www.nationalgalleries.org/art-a ... ridgeshire

Nutmeg

Post by Nutmeg »

P.M Wood
49 Woodstock Road
Redland Bristol BS6 7EW

(0117) 942 3339
|

Could this be him? In current Phone Book

John Broad

Post by John Broad »

Thank you for your responses. I have now spoken to Paul Wood on the phone. The notebooks are in his hands, but he intends to give them to MERL this coming winter when he has finish reviewing them.