What are some street/road names that denote agricultural history?

Ask a question about agricultural history or the history of rural economy and society
Estella Castle

What are some street/road names that denote agricultural history?

Post by Estella Castle »

Hello,

I (like a previous poster) am researching the area of Egham, Surrey for my artist-in-residence at the Egham Museum.

My lovely intern found that a place called 'Harvest Corner' There is open land between 'Harvest Corner' and the Barley Mow pub, which is obviously connected with rural life and farming too.

I wondered what the name 'Harvest' in a street name or place means. Was it perhaps attached to a merchant selling area? Anything on this name would be extremely helpful.

I would also be very interested in any other street/road names that denote agricultural activity or histories, so I can see if any of the other names on the 1805 map we have of the area have a hidden meaning that will add to the picture we are building.

Best,

Estella Castle

rwhoyle

Re: What are some street/road names that denote agricultural history?

Post by rwhoyle »

Leave open the possibility that it derives from a surname.

Richard

webweaver

Re: What are some street/road names that denote agricultural history?

Post by webweaver »

Hi Estella
There is an article by Karen de Bres, 'English Village Street Names' in Geographical Review, volume 80, no. 1 (1990), available to read online at https://www.jstor.org/stable/215898?seq=1. I found that by googling and it looks interesting.

More generally, the English Place-Name Society is the place to go: https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/research/g ... urvey.aspx Their survey includes street-names, and of course, field names, which are also indicative of past agricultural practices.

These are just some pointers and I hope they set you off in the right direction.
Catherine