Meat consumption end 18th century

Ask a question about agricultural history or the history of rural economy and society
PeterVdH

Meat consumption end 18th century

Post by PeterVdH »

Hullo everybody, I have launched an open-access data base about the Industrial Revolution, https://history.pictures. In one sub-chapter I investigate the consumption of meat per head. I have a number of contemporary sources, that inform that the consumption of meat increased considerably in the period 1775 to 1795, and that some groups that ate no meat, are now eating meat.
Can anyone please inform if there was an increase in the numbers of cattle and/or in the production of meat in this period?
Thank you
PeterVdH

rwhoyle

Re: Meat consumption end 18th century

Post by rwhoyle »

It is a very intractable problem as there is no international trade in cattle and so no customs figures. No one attempted to measure the size of the internal domestic market.

The most recent discussion will in Steve Broadberry et al, British Economic Growth (2015) although this may well not be fine-grained enough for your purposes.

It might be helpful if you were also to consider cheese consumption.

PeterVdH

Re: Meat consumption end 18th century

Post by PeterVdH »

OK Thank you. In agreement with you. "Cheese" was, I think, partially substituted by meat.