Equine sources in agricultural folders

Ask a question about agricultural history or the history of rural economy and society
Luise

Equine sources in agricultural folders

Post by Luise » 20 Feb 2019, 18:31

Dear all,

I am a 2nd-year PhD student at the EUI in Florence working on the disappearance / decline of the horse from the everyday life in Britain (c. 1870-1950s). The project focuses on the different horse markets throughout this period. I'm struggling a little finding sources at the moment. My suspicion is that there might be files in folders that I would never look into. Hence, I was wondering if you might be able to give advice regarding sources of horses used, bred, reared, etc. in the English countryside throughout this period? Have you maybe ever come accross something relating to this?

Here's a very brief outline of my project that hopefully helps to understand what I'm talking about:
Assuming that trade is structured by markets, the aim of my project is to describe how horse markets were affected by declining demand. The objective thereby is to get a better understanding of the mechanisms, structures, and processes of a shrinking market. What constitutes a market? Why and how do elements that impact the market such as prices but also values, norms, political institutions, notions of compassion and morality, social entanglements, and structural conditions lead to market decline?
The project combines business as well as socio-cultural and economic history, the history of technology, and social network analysis. Through looping, meandering, and backtracking these different histories I would like to grasp the different subjects that had an impact on the declining horse trade and on its agents in order to reveal the different layers and social dynamics of the horse markets.

Writing this history I cannot avoid researching the horses' role on agricultural holdings. Consulting the records of the Royal Agricultural Society is on my list, though I have not yet had the chance to look into them. Hopefully, I will be able to see them next month.

Thank you very much in advance. I am looking forward hearing from you! And please do let me know should something have remained unclear.

Best wishes,
Luise

Sharer

Re: Equine sources in agricultural folders

Post by Sharer » 22 Feb 2019, 12:45

Hopefully, the records of the Royal Agricultural Society are going to be of great help to you, Luise. Fascinating subject. I hope you'll keep us posted on the progress of your works.