Page 1 of 1

Furrowing plough

Posted: 07 May 2019, 09:04
by edl39
Please see the attached picture.

This tool has been donated to Chedhams Yard in Wellesbourne and we are not sure what it is.

There are no identification marks on it.

It would appear to be a single handed furrowing plough but we are not sure or what crops it would have been used for.

The previous owner indicated that it could be about 100 years old.

From the design it would have to be dragged through the soil with the user walking backwards unless it was a two person operation. There are no hooks or holes for attaching it to a horse.

Can anyone provide a better explanation?
HandMoulder2.jpg (187.92 KiB) Viewed 11711 times
HandMoulder1.jpg (147.81 KiB) Viewed 11711 times

Re: Furrowing plough

Posted: 07 May 2019, 10:07
by Alan Wadsworth
MERL has the following definition for a Banking Plough:

A type of one way plough that was also used for banking (or ridging) in Devon and Cornwall. Two mouldboards pivot at their front edge and are pegged at the back so that one or other is at an angle to the forward direction of the plough.

See ... oughs.html

From the size of the plough, it looks like an implement for market gardening use?