18th Century Recipe Booklet - for cows

Ask a question about agricultural history or the history of rural economy and society
Quipster

18th Century Recipe Booklet - for cows

Post by Quipster »

Hi all,

I am new to the forums. I recently contacted Catherine about a new find and she suggested that I post on this board.

I had a box full of 18th century documents delivered and amongst it is a handwritten, household booklet on remedies for treating cows. Such things as "a drink for a cow wen catched cold and scoureth", etc.

I met with an Archivist who believes that it was written between 1750-1800.

It is a small booklet, so if anyone would like a scanned copy, please let me know.

Best wishes,

Kelly

Alan Wadsworth

Re: 18th Century Recipe Booklet - for cows

Post by Alan Wadsworth »

Hi Kelly,

I would welcome a scanned copy of the booklet - I am currently researching a set of farm diaries from the early 19th century, which has references to various “cures” being administered.

Many thanks, Alan

rwhoyle

Post by rwhoyle »

The person who might be interested is Professor Louise Curth at Winchester.

I am afraid that it is very hard for historians to use documents in private hands as it may well be impossible to verify the information they contain.

Quipster

Post by Quipster »

Hi Alan,

I will send you over a copy of the scanned booklet.

Best wishes,

Kelly

Quipster

Post by Quipster »

Thank you RWHoyle...I will contact Prof. Curth, that is great. I will update with any reply.

Quipster

Post by Quipster »

Hi Alan,

It looks like as I am too new a member, that I am not able to contact you outside the forum.

I do not know whether I need to send an amount of emails before these permissions are granted?

Best wishes,

Kelly

webweaver

Post by webweaver »

Hi Kelly
I was not aware that this was a limitation of being a 'newly registered user'. But I have removed you from the 'Newly registered users' group now, so would you like to try sending a message to Alan again? Let me know whether it works!

Catherine

Quipster

Post by Quipster »

Hi Catherine,

All working now.

Best wishes,

Kelly

Greenwood

Post by Greenwood »

Hi Kelly, I would very much like to see a scan of your recipes and cast my veterinary book collector/historian eye over it. Trying to make sense of these recipes and trace their history is an interest of mine.

Best,
Andrew Greenwood.
a.greenwood@izvg.co.uk.

Tony Pratt

Post by Tony Pratt »

Hi Kelly,

I would be very interested in seeing a copy of the recipe book, it would be very relevant to my Winchester research on the nineteenth century Cattle Plague epidemic. Even if it doesn't specifically deal with Murrain, I am pretty sure early remedies are going to make an appearance in the thesis somewhere.... If you happen to be going to the Conference in Nottingham we could maybe save the postage? Thanks a lot
Regards
Tony