Nurserymen & Seedsmen of c.1750 to 1850 England viz Newcastle to London connections

Ask a question about agricultural history or the history of rural economy and society
Juliachampion

Re: Nurserymen & Seedsmen of c.1750 to 1850 England viz Newcastle to London connections

Post by Juliachampion »

Hi Rosey, I am also researching my family history and believe I am related to William Buttery through his daughter Jane. He would be by great x3 grandfather. Any information you have (I am at a loss to find his birth or baptism, I imagine due to him being adopted) would be gratefully received. There is a family story of a connection to royalty floating around, but that may just be because they were resident in Hampton when the Duke was too! Thank you.

roseymitchell

Re: Nurserymen & Seedsmen of c.1750 to 1850 England viz Newcastle to London connections

Post by roseymitchell »

Hello Julia
How remiss of me not to sign in to read the reply to my post. I too have been unable to find a baptism for William Buttery.

However in his father's William Buttery's Will he states 'I do hereby give and bequeath unto William Hook Buttery othereways William Hook Callender my illegitimate but (now) adopted son his heirs executors and administrators all my goods chattels and effects that is to say the whole of my personal property ....' The Public Record Office reference is PROB11/1755

I too have the family story of a connection to royalty! I think I must do a bit more digging.

Rosey

Juliachampion

Post by Juliachampion »

Hi Rosey - thank you for replying and it is now very very remiss of me not to notice your response. My maiden name is Howe and I was wondering whether you also descend from William Buttery via that family route. Have you found any more information out whilst digging? All the best, Julia.