Livestock survey 1866

Ask a question about agricultural history or the history of rural economy and society
Tony Pratt

Livestock survey 1866

Post by Tony Pratt » 18 Sep 2019, 09:47

Hi, I am trying to find where, if possible, I can access the local area/division figures from the survey of livestock carried out by the Government in 1866 (through the local Tax Collectors if I recall correctly, which wouldn't have endeared it to farmers!) Searching the MAFF, DEFRA and NA catalogues gives me the national returns and the county totals are recorded in the 'Report of the Cattle Plague in Great Britain' (HMSO, 1868). I was sort of hoping to be able to find the returns from divisions within counties but so far have failed to do so. I suspect they might not be available at all but if anyone knows where these might be found I would be most grateful. Thanks. Tony

Alan Wadsworth

Re: Livestock survey 1866

Post by Alan Wadsworth » 18 Sep 2019, 11:57

Hi Tony,

Agricultural statistics are available by parish from 1866 onwards at TNA - but beware the use of estimates in the early years - hope this helps

rwhoyle

Post by rwhoyle » 18 Sep 2019, 20:55

National Archives MAF 68. These are the analysis sheets prepared from the original census forms. They give the statistics for each census parish. I will send you some photos so you can see what you are up against.
Richard

Tony Pratt

Post by Tony Pratt » 29 Oct 2019, 10:24

Hi Richard,

Just to tidy this thread up, as I would not want to give the impression I had not responded to your generous help and assistance: Further to our mails via my Winchester account I would like to publicly thank you for your help and the link to the relevant records. I have now been able to collect the data I needed from the records at Kew, thanks a lot. Tony