Books for review

A place for announcing calls for papers, conference programmes, new publications, book launches, and so on, related to agricultural and rural history
JohnMorgan

Books for review

Post by JohnMorgan » 10 Oct 2019, 08:37

Every so often, the Agricultural History Review is sent books for review that I find difficult to place with reviewers. This is usually because the books cover subjects I am unfamiliar with, rather than because they are uninteresting. Below is a list of books I have received and would like to find reviewers for.

If you would like to nominate yourself or somebody else as a reviewer for one of the below, please contact me using the details here: https://www.bahs.org.uk/AGHRvolumes.html I would be grateful for a couple of lines of introduction, outlining the nature of your interest in the subject of the book you would like to review. I will use my discretion in responding to requests, and will always prioritise placing books with reviewers who have an active research interest in their subject.
  • J.L. Anderson, Capitalist Pigs: Pigs, Pork, and Power in America (West Virginia University Press, 2018). 300pp. illus. $34.99.
  • Rhiannon Comeau and Andy Seaman (eds), Living off the Land: Agriculture in Wales c. 400–1600 AD (Windgather Press, 2019). 264pp. illus. £34.99.
  • Sarah Hamilton, Cultivating Nature: The Conservation of a Valencian Working Landscape (University of Washington Press, 2018). 312pp. 21 illus. $40.
  • Honor Lewington (ed.), Stoke Mandeville Wills and Inventories 1552–1853 (Buckinghamshire Record Society, 2019). 281pp. £30.
  • Robyn Metcalfe, Food Routes: Growing Bananas in Iceland and Other Tales from the Logistics of Eating (The MIT Press, 2019). 208pp. £20.
  • Douglas Sheflin, Legacies of Dust: Land Use and Labor on the Colorado Plains (University of Nebraska Press, 2019). 426pp. 22 illus. $55.
  • Helen Tangiers, Movable Markets: Food Wholesaling in the Twentieth-Century City (Johns Hopkins University Press, 2019). 312pp. 30 illus. $59.95.
Reviews are to be 800-1,000 words long, and are due within three months of receiving the book.

I will keep the list above updated by editing this post so do check back periodically if this is something that might interest you.