Apparatus for unloading hay

Ask a question about agricultural history or the history of rural economy and society
cumwhittonbogle

Apparatus for unloading hay

Post by cumwhittonbogle »

Here is an old photo of an apparatus for unloading hay - can anyone put a name to it?

The back of the photo is shown in the second image, with a message that appears to say “Unloading hay on ????? taken off whole load at once”.

Agromaven

Re: Apparatus for unloading hay

Post by Agromaven »

Another fascinating picture you've shared!

This was a fairly common system for building and unloading haystacks - a simple rope and pulley system. There's probably a horse, out of shot, pulling the end of the rope attached to the pulley and thus lifting the hay (which was probably contained within a 'hay sling'). The system was not only quicker and a great deal less effort than using pitchforks, it was also more efficient: you didn't lose hay from every (small) forkload.

I don't know that the apparatus ever enjoyed a specific, unique name, although perhaps another user knows differently. A farmer wanting to use such a system probably constructed his own, using parts from the local agricultural merchant.

Here's a conservation/farm heritage/re-enactment group in Dartmoor using a similar system:

edl39

Post by edl39 »

We have a hay sling at Chedhams Yard in Wellesbourne but were unsure how it was used and suspended.
These pictures show the process. Thank you. Eric Lawley

cumwhittonbogle

Post by cumwhittonbogle »

Many thanks for the interesting replies and sorry for the delayed response, I was unable to access the forum for a while.

A hay sling seems a sensible name for the apparatus!

webweaver

Post by webweaver »

I admit that the Forum was unavailable for about a week, as a result of a change I made elsewhere to the web site. I had hoped that no one had noticed! Please accept my apologies.
WebWeaver